Why Are More People Choosing to Have Moles Removed?
Mole removal has become increasingly popular in London, but it is only partly in response to greater awareness about skin cancer. While many people do request a removal because they are worried about cancer, growing numbers of people are asking their dermatologists for cosmetic removals too.
A Fashion for Mole Removal?
Women in their 20s and 30s are the most likely to ask for cosmetic mole removals in London too, although it is also increasingly common for older people and men to want to get rid of their moles too. However, the popularity of moles has changed a lot over time:
- The Roman goddess Venus was often said to have had an attractive mole
- Traditional Chinese fortune telling used moles to make predictions about the bearer’s future
- In medieval Europe, moles were sometimes considered a sign of evil and associated with witches
- Moles became the height of fashion in 17th century France and people started wearing fake beauty marks, often to cover spots or scars
- In 18th century London, the beauty marks were sometimes cut into elaborate shapes such as hearts and stars
- The Victorians were less fond of moles and often tried to cover them up along with freckles
- Early Hollywood stars revived the fashion for moles, with stars like Marilyn Monroe using eyebrow pencils to darken their moles, or even to add them to cover a spot
Moles appear to be out of fashion today, possibly because of the association with skin cancer. However, we are much more flexible about what we consider beautiful too. We can be proud of our unique mole if we want or feel confident choosing to have a mole removed if it bothers us.
Having a mole removed
by a dermatologist in London is a relatively simple procedure, but it does need to be considered carefully. Removal can result in scarring if the mole needs to be excised completely rather than simply flattened. It can also change our appearance quite dramatically, so it’s important to be sure that you won’t miss your mole once it’s gone.