Looking after your hair properly can help you to look and feel better, but proper hair care can also help to prevent problems
such as irritation and skin infections. It is important to have a good hair care routine to keep your hair and scalp healthy.
Know Your Hair Type
Your hair type will determine how often you need to wash your hair and what kinds of hair care products will work best on it.
If your hair is oily it should be washed more often. If it feels dry, you should wash it less frequently. However, if you have
a flaky scalp you may need to wash your hair more often to prevent dandruff and other scalp problems.
Keep Your Hair Clean
When you wash your hair, it is important to use hair care products that are designed for your hair type. You should use both
shampoo and conditioner every time you wash your hair, or choose a combined product to save time. Focus on the scalp when
shampooing as this is where most of the oil will build up. Use the conditioner mainly on the ends of the hair, where it is
driest. Trimming your hair regularly will help to get rid of the damaged ends, but it is still important to take good care of
Look After Sensitive Scalps
If you have a very sensitive scalp or you are prone to skin problems such as eczema, you may need to take a little extra care:
• Choose hair care products designed for sensitive scalps. Baby shampoos can be particularly mild.
• Wear a hat to protect your scalp from the sun, but don’t let your scalp get too sweaty.
• Condition your hair before and after swimming and wear a swim cap if necessary.
• Don’t use too many products on your hair and consider avoiding hair dyes completely.
• See a dermatologist if you notice anything unusual about your hair or scalp.