Choosing the Right Dermatologist.
Date: Jun 2018
Choosing the right dermatologist can make a big difference not just to the quality of the care that you receive, but also to your experiences at the clinic. The right dermatologist will help you to feel as comfortable as possible while providing all of the support and information you need, alongside the best possible care.
A good starting point for choosing a dermatologist is to narrow down the options according to your needs. You should think about:
- Location: choosing a clinic that will be easy for you to reach will make attending appointments much easier
- Appointment times: check the opening times for the clinic to ensure that you will be able to arrange consultations at times that suit you
- Any other factors that are important to you, such as having an online booking system
Find an Expert
Once you have identified the most suitable clinics in your area, you should take a look at their websites in order to learn more about the doctors who work there. You should be able to find profiles describing each dermatologist’s background, training and experience. It can be particularly helpful to find a dermatologist who has a special interest in the condition you need help with.
Choose the Right Dermatology Clinic
Clinic websites should also provide plenty of information to help you to compare their reputations and the quality of the care that they provide. It can be particularly helpful to look for:
- Details about special treatments and services, such as psychological support or phototherapy
- Testimonials from other patients
- Accreditation, awards and links to organisations such as the British Association of Dermatologists and British Skin Foundation
Another good way to check on a clinic’s reputation is to look at the Care Quality Commission website. The clinic should be registered with the CQC and there will be details of any inspections that have been carried out.
Arrange a Consultation
Once you have found a clinic and dermatologist who seem to be right for you, the next step will be to arrange a consultation. Your first visit to the clinic will enable you to confirm that you have made the right choice and to ensure that you can build a good relationship with your new doctor.