Mole – Might Become Melanoma
As the incidence of malignant melanoma has increased by 400% in the last 40 years, we look at a few important things you ought to know.
5 Reasons things that might increase your risk of skin cancer:
- You have fair skin and burn easily in the sun
- Excess sun exposure – having lived or worked in the sun, particularly in hot countries
- A history of malignant melanoma in your family
- Having a lot of moles
- Problems with the immune system or take immune-suppressing medications
Remember – if treated early enough, malignant melanoma is curable. So if in doubt, get yourself checked.
Top tips on what to look out for in moles that might be becoming melanoma:
- Rapidly growing or enlarging moles
- Moles that change shape and become irregular or asymmetrical
- Blurring of the borders of a mole
- Changing colour, particularly darkening, or more variations of colour appearing
- Ulceration or bleeding
For examples of both benign moles and malignant melanoma, see our website.
Remember – there is no substitute for a consultant dermatologist examining your moles. If you are worried, get in touch today.